Fishing for sharks, especially in the surf, is one of the greatest thrills an angler can experience. Sharks seemingly always put up a great fight, and while catching smaller fish can be fun, fighting a shark at the end of your fishing line is a whole new level.
No matter what type of shark it may be, you will need to be fully prepared in order to be successful. Luckily we have you covered, and will teach the best rig to use when surf fishing for sharks!
How to make the Shark Surf Fishing Rig
For this rig, you will want to be casting baits from the beach and targeting sharks that are smaller than 6 feet in length. Anything larger, and you will need some different and stronger gear.
In order to make this rig, you will need a few basic gear items, such as:
- fishing wire
- 80 to 100-pound test mono-filament fishing line
- a red plastic bead
- two 100+ swivels (rated for anything over 100 pounds)
- an 8-ounce pyramid sinker
- and sharp circle hook at least 7/0 in size.
How to Assemble This Rig
Once you have gathered all of the right gear, assembling this rig is fairly simple.
- First, you will need to assemble the wire portion of the rig that attaches to the hook. You will want to get around two feet of fishing wire and attach it to a swivel.
- You will then need to attach your hook of choice to the other end of the wire, and the leader portion is now finished.
- After finishing the leader, you will need to cut a small portion of the monofilament line. Tie the other swivel to this line, and then go through the same eye of the swivel to tie a loop.
- Attach your pyramid sinker to this loop by pinching it and feeding it through the eye of the sinker. Now you will need another few feet of monoline, slide the sinker part on, then slide the plastic bead on afterward.
- The final step is to attach the leader to the mainline of your fishing rod. This can be done by tying the two fishing lines together and there you have it! While it may seem a little complicated, after doing it a few times you will easily get the hang of it.
Related article: Whiting Surf Fishing Rig
Final Thoughts about shark rigs for surf fishing
Surf fishing for sharks can be the experience of a lifetime for many anglers, but you need to be using the right fishing rig for the job. This shark fishing rig is sure to bring you much more success the next time you head to the beach for some shark fishing!
Updated: November 1, 2021