Last Updated on August 20, 2021
Trout are one of the most popular freshwater fish species in the world, and there are many different types of them.
From rainbow, brown, brook, and tiger trout to many others, they can be found in many different ponds, lakes, streams and rivers where they feed on small insects and other aquatic creatures.
Trout make for a great fishing adventure and a fine meal if you can catch them.
This split shot rig is a great choice for trout, no matter what type of water or species that you are after!
What You Need and How to Assemble This Split Shot Rig
In order to make a split shot rig for trout, you only need a few different items.
Once you have all of these items, you are ready to start building this rig.
- First, you will want to cut around 4 feet of the monofilament line to use as a leader line.
- At the end of this leader line, you will want to tie on your size 8 hook.
- After attaching the hook, clamp on the 2 split shot sinkers onto the leader around a foot or two above the hook depending on the depth that you want to fish at.
- Use a pair of pliers to ensure that they do not come loose, and place about an inch between them.
- Next you will want to attach your snap swivel onto your main fishing line, and the leader line onto the swivel.
- The last step is to place the bobber around a foot away from the swivel, and now you are ready to bait the hook! Worms are a great choice for this particular rig.
Fishing for Freshwater Trout
This rig uses a bobber in order to let you know when a fish is taking your bait. In order to effectively use this rig, you will want to make sure that you do not use equipment that is too large. You want a fish to not be able to feel the added weight of a bobber or rig, so that they will take the bait more easily.
Related article: best lures for trout
Freshwater trout fishing is a lot of fun and can provide an angler with some of the best tasting fish meat out there. A simple split shot rig can be utilized just about anywhere in order to effectively catch these amazing fish, and it is very simple to make!